6-7 foreign partners from at least 3 EU countries: Erasmus+ Youth Programme
We received the request to forward information about searching for partners by one of the Polish organisations. They are looking for 6-7 foreign partners from at least 3 EU countries within the Erasmus+ Youth Programme (strategic partnerships, exchange of good practices). The deadline for submitting the application is September 30th, 2020. Details below:
Title of the project: "Hour for Science" with a smartphone at Cosmic-Ray Extremely Distributed Observatory (CREDO)
Where: Poland and UE
When: 2020.09.30 - 2021.06.01
Contact details: Janusz Firla, email@example.com
CREDO-ASTROTECTONIC and IFJ PAN Poland
1. What is CREDO?
2. What do we want to develop in this project?
3. "Place" of the application in the project ... why do we want to use it
Point 1. What is CREDO ...
The Cosmic-Ray Extremely Distributed Observatory (CREDO) project, which was established at the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Krakow, Poland, is an international program in which almost 40 organizations from 17 countries are interested. In this program, one of many theories is tested that when we observe the universe, we only see 5% of it. The rest is invisible to us. 68% of the missing part of the Universe is called Dark Energy and 27% Dark Matter. Scientists know that these things exist because of many otherwise unexplained phenomena, including the way we see galaxies spinning. But we have no idea what they are, what could this dark matter be - supermassive particles born in the early universe? If this theory is correct, we cannot see the supermassive particles themselves. However, we should be able to detect what remains as these molecules near the end of their lives, or "decay". Predicted photons the very high energy to be produced from this decay are unlike anything scientists have discovered so far that came from outer space. This may be because they are very rare or, more likely, do not make their way across the universe to Earth without being influenced by other particles.
It is known from experiments with high-energy particles on Earth that interactions with other particles are likely to produce many lower-energy photons in a large „cascade”. CREDO calls these cascades super-showers and they have the potential to spread widely both in space (an area larger than the Earth) and over time (reaching different parts of the Earth at different times).
It is highly unlikely that existing observatories looking for particles from space will be able to recognize these particles because they cover a small fraction of the Earth's surface. To identify these widespread showers, we would need an Earth-size detector, which is obviously impossible! However, with the help of the many non-professionals involved in the CREDO project, many small detectors scattered all over the Earth's surface, a new information "window" about space can be opened. This additional knowledge will be useful as well in studies of the influence of this radiation - particle flux on processes taking place on Earth.
Point 2. Why with CREDO and what we intend to develop in it ...
The aim of the project is to initiate / trigger a mass movement for citizenship science and increasing the creativity of its participants - youth, including school youth, inspired by the CREDO program. CREDO is the program that enables cooperation between educational institutions and research with civic organizations, enhancing the creativity potential of project participants in the area of learning and researching fascinating phenomena in space. Non-professionals can be involved in its participation and use their various competences in the development of science and their personal development. Units involved in the project are ready to support with their potential the idea of global participation in recording traces of cosmic particles on a personal smartphone and the analysis of the data obtained in this way. This collaboration would take place with scientists dealing with such research professionally.
There are three levels of involvement in this project.
1. Each person can take part in the registration of cosmic ray particles using a smartphone with the free CREDO application. They can form teams in the continuous Particle Hunter competition and help break the Guinness World Record in an hour-long physics lesson.
2. Active participants will learn about the "meanders" of the development of science, awareness and the greatest vision of oneself and humanity, using Socratic discussion and inductive reasoning. They will be supported by the teachers and coordinators of the Particle Hunters Teams as they guide them through scientific discoveries and applications.
3. It is planned to share the knowledge gained in this process with centers interested in using it in work on the study of interactions of cosmic particle streams with the natural manifestations of the presence of interconnected, diverse life support systems on Earth. Also, acquire it in the visited observation and registration centers for these phenomena, as well as those conducting work on the development of manned space programs.
All efforts will be distinguished and the results obtained at different levels of activity by individual people and interest groups will be presented. Thanks to the use of media and other means, the individual factors motivating the participant's transition from a passive "particle recorder" to a creative and innovative attitude in the face of emerging puzzles and problems that will arise in the project will be strengthened. Dealing with them are topics for joint work with scientists for the most active, with the possibility of publishing the results of their research.
The implementation of tasks within these levels of commitment is to strengthen
and enrich the already existing network of connections between the institutional members of CREDO. This is achieved thanks to the real flow of acquired information and its joint use. By identifying the factors motivating the increase in the activity of participants, you will obtain indications useful for the continuation of the activities undertaken after the end of the project.
Point 3. "Place" of the application in the project ... why do we want to use it
The CREDO application is a free software of the Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Kraków - Poland. Equipping an individual smartphone with this application makes the phone a research tool that records data about particles caught with it. Data of such a particle is automatically sent to the Cyfronet of AGH in Krakow and made publicly available on the CREDO website. This enables the compilation of data sets at any point on Earth, according to any research concept. Thanks to these possibilities, it becomes possible to create a Cosmic-Ray Extremely Distributed Observatory (CREDO). The more CREDO applications are downloaded and launched, the more registration points for these particles there will be and the more the chance of registering an unexpected event increases. The registration of such an event will be a sensation on a global scale.
Due to the fact that all access codes to this software are open source, everyone is allowed to participate actively in its development. This possibility will also be used in the program.
Application submission deadline - September 30, 2020. Organizations consisting of:
1-2 from Poland and 6-7 foreign partners from at least three EU countries.
1. Please contact potential interested parties from EU and associated countries if you are interested in participating in an Erasmus project in the above topic. We will also answer your questions.
- If an entity interested in participating in the Erasmus project sees the need to correct the above for the fuller use of its participation in it, please provide this information as soon as possible.
- If the unit to which this proposal was addressed is not interested in it itself, please refer it to schools or organizations with which you cooperate - you have contact. This way is a chance to gain interest of individuals participating in the project. The maximum amount that can be raised is EUR 200-250 thousand for two years.
2. We also encourage individuals outside the EU and associated countries who have received this information to study it carefully. The provided material can serve as inspiration for the creation of local and over local networks of units interested in participating in the works of CREDO. It can also be a guide for the search for national and international solutions that would enable the support of such groups seeking to participate in the development of civic science.